1818 - 1892
Bradley and Metcalf were the leading shoemaker in Milwaukee and became of the largest in the Midwest by the 1870’s. WIth multiple locations in Milwaukee they employed hundreds and were major suppliers of the shoes to the U.S. military until the great depression of the 1930’s. Charles Bradley came to Milwaukee in 1843 and began his business almost immediately. He later partnered with Metcalf to expand the business. Metcalf was considered Milwaukee’s leading art collector in his day.