1813 - 1883
Downer was known as an excellent jurist and was appointed to fill a vacancy on the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Before concluding a six-year term to which he had been elected, Downer resigned and prospered in a private law practice. He and his second wife donated substantial sums to the Wisconsin Female College of Fox Lake. Through mergers, it relocated here and became known as Milwaukee Downer College, now part of the campus at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.