Peter Englemann (1835 to 1927)

Section 23, Block 29, Lots 1 and 3

Arriving in Milwaukee in 1851, Englemann became principal of the German-English Academy. He opened the first kindergarten and launched instruction in singing, dancing and gymnastics. The collections of his natural history museum were transferred to the Milwaukee Public Museum. The Academy merged with two other institutions to form what is known today as the University School of Milwaukee.

Peter Englemann (1835 to 1927)